HOUSING IN THE CITY
Partners & Providers
Note: OCAD U staff do not inspect any of the listed homes or housing options, and do not guarantee the accuracy or availability of any information provided by third-party websites. It is your responsibility to judge their suitability and location. OCAD U cannot and does not accept responsibility for housing arrangements made by persons using any of these services.
Residence or dorm-style accommodations provide the most support for students. These types of housing will usually have all students, potential meal-plans, and more supported community.
If you are interested in this type of housing, reach out directly at your earliest convenience. Some may offer a waiting list up to a year in advance which will limit immediate availability. This is beyond OCAD U's control.
253 College St.
Toronto, ON M5T 1R5
E-mail: campusone [at] studenthousing.com
Distance from OCAD U: 1.2 km
Located at College and Spadina in the heart of downtown Toronto—steps away from OCAD University—CampusOne offers spacious urban living and state-of-the-art amenities in a safe and secure environment.
Featuring optimal suite layouts and incredible amenity spaces from a Penthouse Level Skylounge, Yoga/Dance Studio, Innovation Lounge, Arcade Room, Movie Theatres and much more, CampusOne is the ultimate student residence experience.
With professional on-site management and 24/7 security, we strive to offer you the peace of mind you need so your academics can remain a priority!
CampusOne Housing Webinar
WATCH RECORDING HERE
- Movie Theatres
- Ping-Pong Lounges
- Fitness Centre
- Innovation Lounge
- Arcade Lounge
- Arts and Crafts Studio
- Yoga/Dance Studio
- Fitness-on-Demand Studio
- Fireplace Lounge
- Communal and Quiet Study Rooms
- Video Game Lounge
- Penthouse Level SkyLounge
- Fully-furnished suites
- Individual locking bedroom doors
- Professional, on-site management
- 24-hour, card-controlled access
- Bike storage with on-site repair station
- Individual liability leases
- Roommate matching available
- 9,000 sf 3-meal Food Program operated by UofT
- Card operated laundry centre
- Best in class WiFi included
- 24/7 on-site security
(Formerly Campus Common)
50 Gerrard St. E.
Toronto, ON M5B 1J6
Tel: 416-593-1800 Fax: 416-593-1850
Distance from OCAD U: 1.3 km
Located in the heart of downtown Toronto, our building is made up over 188 furnished student apartments. We offer an inclusive living experience that is perfect for students looking for a little more independence while still living close to campus.
We keep things simple:
Affordable rent, modern appliances and a welcoming community. With private kitchens and bathrooms in each unit, you'll find the comfort and privacy that's missing in most student residences. Our on-site laundry room, lounge, gym and recreational rooms gives our residents everything they need to thrive in their daily life. Add in state-of-the-art safety, security and eco-friendly features, and you've got the ideal student experience. Take a 3D Virtual Tour!
We’re really excited to lease out our newly renovated units for the fall 2021 semester! You can expect photos and virtual tours as they become available in our weekly VIP Newsletter.
We’re also super stoked about our plans to create the best student living experience in Toronto. You can expect events, contests, social gatherings and support from your Campus Common community when you stay with us!
Avant Toronto Webinar
WATCH RECORDING HERE
- High speed Wi-Fi
- New furniture (bed, desk, kitchen table/seating, etc.)
- Newly painted walls, flooring and bathroom vanities
- New kitchen counter tops, cabinets & appliances (dishwasher, fridge, microwave)
- Newly renovated common areas (lounge, gym, outdoor space)
- Laundry Room on site
- Smartphone operated intercom system
- Outdoor courtyard
- Package lockers for secure deliveries
- Keyless entry to building and parking garage
- CCTV surveillance cameras in all hallways and common areas
- Security guards on duty during evenings and weekends
186 Jarvis Street
Toronto, ON M5B 2B7
Email: jarvis [at] hoem.ca
Distance from OCAD U: 1.6 km
HOEM is more than just a building, it's a feeling. HOEM was designed for the modern student lifestyle of comfort, community, and learning. Living here comes with a foundation of support, spaces to connect with others, a built-in network of resources and lots of opportunities to get involved. Located in the heart of downtown Toronto and only a playlist away from OCAD U, you’ll never feel out of place in this diverse post-secondary community.
There are no limits to your creativity in our Maker Space! Located on the ground floor of HOEM, make@HOEM is a digital fabrication studio open to all HOEMies, university students and professional businesses. With 24/7 access to 3D-printing + scanning, hand tools, laser cutting and more, it is the perfect space to work on your academic and personal projects or build your small business! Check out our Instagram @make.athoem for details on how to register and upcoming workshops!
HOEM on Jarvis Housing Webinar
WATCH RECORDING HERE
Click here to learn more about your HOEM away from home or to book a tour!
- 24/7 Security
- Maker space (3D printers, laser cutters and more)
- In-suite cleaning
- Fully furnished
- Fully equipped kitchen with crockery
- High Speed Internet and Wi-Fi
- Common lounge areas
- Gym/yoga studio
- Complimentary fitness classes and daily programming
- Smart mail delivery
- Underground Bike racks
- Underground Parking / Electric Car Chargers
- Steps to TTC/Eaton Centre
Parkside Student Residence
111 Carlton St.
Toronto, ON M5B 2G3
Email: parkside [at] studenthousing.com
Distance from OCAD U: 1.6 km
Parkside Student Residence redefines downtown Toronto student housing. Desinged around students of OCAD, Ryerson, U of T, George Brown College, Toronto Film School, CMU and other nearby schools, Parkside is just steps from campus.
Parkside's modern living spaces feature enhanced privacy for comfort and study, and amenities promoting health, fitness, academic achievement, and socialization. #homeisparkside
Parkside Housing Webinar
WATCH RECORDING HERE
- New all-day, unlimited dining program
- 24-hour fitness centre with private yoga space
- Dramatic study and social space overlooking Carlton Street
- Social lounge with fireplace
- Recreation center with billiards and ping pong
- 24-hour secure entry, electronic key-fob controls
- Secured bicycle storage and on-site repair station
- Community kitchens
- Specialty Lounges: Lego room, Create room, Dance studio
- Multimedia room with available gaming consoles
- New card-operated laundry center
- Outdoor activity space
- Across from Allan Gardens
- Private meeting and study rooms
- Social events for residents and friends
- Free Wi-Fi throughout the building
- 24-hour on-site management
- Underground in-building parking available
- TTC streetcar stops outside the front door
- Single and double occupancy room options
- Luxury penthouse suites available
- Great views of downtown Toronto
- Fully furnished
- High speed Wi-Fi internet
- Hydro and water included
- In-suite heating and air-conditioning controls
- Electronic locks and locking bedrooms
- Monitored fire alarms and sprinklers
- Per-person contracts
- Roommate matching system
Co-operative (co-op) housing is similar to residence but the buildings are typically smaller or medium-sized apartment buildings or townhouses and also tend to offer more affordable rates. Residents will get to share spaces with students from various post-secondary schools in Toronto. While there is community and security, things like meal-plans will not be included.
If you are interested in co-operative-style accommodations, contact the following places directly at your earliest convenience. Some may offer a waiting list up to a year in advance which will limit immediate availability. This is beyond OCAD U's control.
96 Gerrard St. E.
Toronto, ON M5B 1G7
Toll Free (North America): 1-800-268-4358 Fax: 416-977-2809
Distance from OCAD U: 1.4 km
Neill-Wycik is a 700+ room co-operative in the heart of downtown Toronto. We are not affiliated with any one particular school, so students attending any College or University in the city can become a member. During the months of May through August we also operate as a summer hotel, offering affordable accommodation to budget conscious travellers from around the world.
Life as a member of the Neill-Wycik Co-op means having fun and getting involved. Neill-Wycik encourages its members to make their mark and leave a lasting impression. By joining one of the Co-op's many committees, members can participate in such diverse tasks as planning social events or developing the building's long term financial goals. Not interested in any of Neill-Wycik’s existing committees? You can always attend a Social Activity Committee meeting and propose your own! In short, there are many opportunities that Neill-Wycik offers its members to get the most out of their time here.
- Roof decks
- Hanke Lounge
- Games Room
- Party Room
- TV Room
- Laundry Rooms
- Computer Lab
- Photo lab
- Sewing Room
- Weight Room
395 Huron St.
Toronto, ON M5S 2G5
Tel: 416-979-2161 Fax: 416-979-5561
Distance from OCAD U: 1.8 km
Campus Co-op is a self-funded, student led housing co-operative located in the heart of downtown Toronto, with a variety of accommodation within walking distance of George Brown College, OCAD U, Ryerson University, and University of Toronto (St. George Campus).
We provide students not only with a place to live, but with the opportunity to create and sustain a non-profit organization that upholds values of community, responsibility and awareness. Although our focus is and will remain supplying students with affordable housing, there is much more to a Co-op than paying rent on time. In essence, the Co-op is what we make of it: it gives us the opportunity to actually make a difference in the way we live.
While we normally provide rooms only to post-secondary students, in the summer time, we open our doors to short and long-term visitors, in our detached and semi-detached, historic houses.
CLICK HERE to find out how Co-ops work. The difference with CCRI is that we are self-sufficient and receive no government funding. Therefore, all of our rooms are offered at market rates and there is no subsidy.
Home sharing options allow you to stay within someone's house during your studies. Staying with a family or an older adult will provide you with companionship and are usually quite affordable.
Are you a student looking for affordable housing? Canada HomeShare is a program run by HelpAge Canada that matches older adults (55+) with a spare room in their home who would benefit from receiving additional income and/or help around the home with university and college students seeking affordable housing.
In exchange for reduced rent of $400 to $600 per month, the student provides up to 7 hours per week of companionship and/or assistance with completing light household tasks, such as preparing and sharing meals, tidying up, carrying groceries, or walking a pet.
INFORMATION OR APPLICATIONS
Call 1 (800) 786-9773 ext 2 or email toronto [at] canadahomeshare.comtarget="_blank".
Home Stay Services
A popular choice of accommodation if you are from outside Toronto — or Canada — Home Stay users enjoy the hospitality of a host family and often get help adjusting to a new lifestyle, a new neighbourhood, transit system and more.
- Canada Homestay Network
- Five Star Homestay
- Homestay Connection
- Homestay Plus
- Student Homestay Services
- Toronto Homestay
OAKWOOD - Studio on Richmond
199 Richmond St. West
Toronto, ON M5V 0H4
Email: oakwoodamericas [at] oakwood.comtarget="_blank" title="Email Oakwood"
Distance from OCAD U: 800 m
Studio on Richmond doesn't only offer space and comfort, but also practicality. This conveniently located building prides itself on offering maximum usable space for today's living routine along with in suite laundry facilities and gourmet kitchens.
- Air Conditioning
- Cable TV
- Fully-equipped kitchen
- In-unit washer and dryer
- Fitness centre/gym
- Free parking
- Outdoor grilling/BBQ area
RESOURCES AND SUPPORT
Looking for More Options?
Online Housing Resources
The following are online community pages where students can seek or list housing options and all related information:
- OCAD U Housing on Facebook
- Student Housing Toronto - UofT - Ryerson - OCAD
- Homes for Queers Toronto on Facebook
- Bunz Home Zone on Facebook
Hundreds of thousands of homes from over 1000 property managers, classifieds and apartment complexes. Search for free.
Point2 Homes Toronto
Point2 Homes is one of the largest real estate websites in Canada, with thousands of homes for rent in Toronto. Simply click on the "For Rent" button at the top of the landing page to see options.
Sharing can make your costs more affordable, offers security and can lead to opportunities for socializing and making new friends. If you don't know anyone, or don't have a room mate in mind, some places (such as U of T Housing Services or places4students.com) offer free matching services. Things to keep in mind:
- What are the house rules?
- Who will take care of collecting money from all room mates for rent, bills, utilities, phone, cable?
- Communicate/ask about living arrangements and expectations.
- How do your room mates/landlord view additional room mates, overnight guests, smoking, food, sharing internet?
- Whose name(s) is/are on the lease?
Presentation for OCAD U Students
Finding appropriate housing often takes dedication and time. To help make the process as easy as possible, OCAD U is pleased to partner with Places4Students.com! Places4Students provides abundant information about available housing, a real-time database of vacancies in close proximity to OCAD U and detailed property features, photos and contact information.
Places4Students is also available as an app (available for iPhone and Android):
Find the place that is right for you, post a profile and find potential OCAD U roommates or search listings posted by your fellow students.
If you are an OCAD U student...
If you are a landlord...
- POST a student rental listing online
or call 1-866-766-0767:
Monday to Thursday: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET
Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET
Are you a student planning on subletting?
- Beware of Internet Scams & Fraud: https://www.places4students.com/Blog/BlogView?BlogID=503
- Student Guide: https://www.places4students.com/Help/Index?tc=3&id=30
- Student Resources: https://www.places4students.com/Help/Index?tc=3&id=33
- Fire Safety: https://www.places4students.com/Help/Index?tc=3&id=8
- Rental Tips: https://www.places4students.com/Help/Index?tc=3&id=44
- Best Blogs from 2022: https://www.places4students.com/Blog/BlogView?BlogID=495
- Be a Good Neighbour: https://www.places4students.com/Blog/BlogView?BlogID=466
- Renters Insurance: https://www.places4students.com/Blog/BlogView?BlogID=471
- Rent Receipts for Tax Refunds: https://www.places4students.com/Blog/BlogView?BlogID=341
- Moving/packing List: https://www.places4students.com/Blog/BlogView?BlogID=504
OCAD U students can access the services of University of Toronto (U of T) Housing and search for student housing*. For more information, contact Housing Services directly, or visit them online.
Student Success Centre
214 College St., Main Floor
Toronto, ON M5T 3A1
HOURS OF OPERATION
September to June:
8:45 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET
July and August:
8:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET
U of T Student Housing has developed a series of interactive eLearning Modules for students to learn about renting and finding your next place. This covers everything from budgeting to searching to signing a lease! (No sign-in is required to use the Modules as OCAD U students). You can also view the URent: Finding A Place video for a step-by-step guide to a housing search.
*OCAD U students do not have access to U of T residence accommodation
during the fall and winter terms.
Indigenous Student Support
Moving to Toronto or living outside of the city? If you would like assistance with locating a housing coordinator or resources in your area, please contact the ISC's Student Success Coordinator Reagan Kennedy (rkennedy [at] ocadu.carel="noreferrer noopener" target="_blank") to set up a virtual appointment.
Indigenous community members ages 25+ can receive support with housing, holistic wellness, service navigation and financial support.